Tuesday, May 29, 2012

the anime cookies post

So here're the anime cookies I worked on to sell at Comic Fiesta. I had pretty ambitious plans at first, with great details, more characters! I was pretty much aiming to make a 1000 pieces and laugh my way to the bank. Then the cloud of excitement settled down onto the cold hard floor of reality. So I chopped my plans down to what was actually possible versus what my head likes to imagine. It's not like I'm in it for the money :( if I were, I'd be in a whole different line of work. What I love is doing stuff like these, and if my hobbies can help pay for themselves, that's awesome.



In a msn conversation with Joyce one day and I was wondering what I'd name the range of cookies for sale. "What about Cookie Gundam?" she suggested, "thats like cookie group in Japanese, right?" I fell off my chair laughing. Well, I was pretty sure gundam isnt the Japanese equivalent for 'group' but I googled just to be 100% certain! Trusty ol' google translator helped convert cookie group to Cookie Gumi. Sounds cute enough for CF.

first colour goes on
Making these were pretty fun. A little back breaking and eye straining, and sometimes I'll run late into the night just to get some layers of icing ready before the next day. 

I hold the icing bag pretty weirdly.  Looks like I should work on that.
Of course I wouldn't have been able to do it without talented help! So much thanks go to my mum, my sister, Gianne, Shae Lyn, and Shereendar for coming over to lend a hand T-T (they were duly rewarded, although I still feel like I haven't paid them back enough!) you guys are awesome! 

And for the photo roll : 

Rin and Len cookies with a doily border thanks to Shae Lyn's insistence.

cookies in the works.


food colouring markers!

most of the colours used.


Strength looking cute
I forgot her name.

Elizabeth from Gintama

Domokuns. I just adore how simple yet incredibly endearing they are.

Miku being packaged.


Companion cube <3
 I really intended to make the companion cube 3D, like an actual cube, but I was running out of time so I scrapped that and did something easier :

Totoro cookie standing on grass cookie. 
So thats about it. It was a pretty steep learning curve for me, and there were a lot of "so thats why we shouldn't....." moments. I'm not exactly impressed with myself just yet, I think I could use a lot more practice and experiments, especially when dealing with our hot humid weather which really affects the icing a lot! :(

More cookies to come!

The end



6 comments:

  1. I know this is very long ago but may i ask, did you use royal icing?:3 do you think glaze icing would work just as well? I wanna try making cookies like this. I've made royal icing cookies before but the royal icing became hard and by hard i mean break-your-teeth-off hard. Seriously. So i would like to know from someone who has made such stuff before! ^o^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really sorry to disturb >.< but what icing tip you used to outline Rin and Len's hair? Sorry to bother you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi! anon 9:59, yes I did. I used an egg white and icing sugar recipe and then watered down with water for flooding consistency. I've never tried glaze before, so I can't say. I am curious now that you mentioned it, I'll try it out soon! I get what you mean by rock hard! It's happened a few times before, but rarely now. I'm afraid I'm not entirely sure why :/ might be the cookie's own recipe, lately the cookies I decorate on tend to be on the softer side, so it might have an effect on the icing's hardness.

    anon 10:49, I'm having a tough time recalling, but I think I used a wilton tip 02. I'd always prefer a tip 01, but it gets clogged way too often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Are you selling these cookies still, because I would love to buy a couple of dozens for my son's anime club meetings. Please let me know! Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Hello :> I take orders for cookies, but I am based in Malaysia though.

      Delete
    3. You should do Tokyo ghoul and fairy tail cookies!!!!

      Delete